BigDaddyBigz Book Review: Sam Walton Made In America

Check the bottom of the page for how they've spent some of their fortune!


Tap image for more reviews on this book.

I have not enjoyed a book more than I did this one in a very long time. I am 53 years old at the time I am writing this review so the nostalgia that I experienced reading this book was pure joy. I can remember so much of what is talked about in this book. Granted, I do not remember any of it from any standpoint other than a little boy going to the TG&Y or any number of other stores talked about in this book and seeing all of the marketing ploys these marketers would participate in. As you read this book I am certain those of you who are near my age and older will have many of the same memories. In this aspect alone the book was well worth the read.

It has other value though. I cannot tell you just how deeply my attitude towards Wal-mart as a business has shifted. I have a much more positive view of the company. Heck, I may even become a shareholder after reading it. I feel I need to give a more thorough explanation of why I have shifted my thinking on Sam Walton and his massive company called Wal-mart. 

For many years I worked for a company that did work for Wal-mart. Not as a vendor, but as a service company for many stores in Northeast Texas including the Dallas/Ft Worth Metroplex. During my years with that company I became quite familiar with Wal-mart on a bit deeper level than just being a customer. I was always somewhat amazed at their growth just in the areas I was servicing them. It seemed there were new stores coming online in that area every month.  I never really had a bad attitude towards Wal-mart, but maybe I was a bit indifferent to them because of my growing familiarity with them. I'm not one to enjoy shopping either, so as I have aged I have acquired a huge distaste for having to go into the now massive stores and search for anything. Therefore I have learned to either do without, or shop from my phone. 

Back in October of this year (2021) I took my family on a trip to Northwest Arkansas for a little getaway. We really enjoy the Ozarks. We stayed in Rogers, AR. It is just a few short miles from Bentonville, hometown of Wal-mart. I asked my family if they would want to see Walton's 5 &10 store. They gave an enthusiastic YES, so off we went. Folks, I want you to know that the town square of Bentonville, AR is amazing. It is so nice downtown I was just blown away. I attribute all of the "niceness" of the area directly to Wal-mart and the money they have brought into the town. But I want to tell you about the Sam Walton Museum. 

I know, this is a book review, but what I am telling you is relevant to the book. You see, it was at the museum where I spotted the book and decided I would buy it and read it. So, before we did the tour of the museum I purchased the book and we went into the museum. I want you to know, I am disappointed that I did not read the book before going through the museum. I really don't think I fully appreciated everything I was seeing in the museum. So remember that if you decide you may want to trek out to Bentonville, AR. Read the book before you go....trust me on this. Below are a few pictures from our trip to the museum. These are only a small part of the museum. You must see it.




My lovely wife and two beautiful daughters in front of Walton's 5&10



Sam's truck. I believe there is a picture of Ol' Roy there too. Yes, Ol' Roy like the one the dogfood is named for.

Sam's office....exactly how it looked the day he died. 

Back to the review of the book. That is what this post is about, right?! 

So I truly believe that this book  would be helpful for a multitude of people. It is an absolute must-read for anyone employed by Wal-mart in any capacity. PERIOD! I believe much of what Sam believed in and founded his company on has been lost in their success. This may be due to his death, or it may simply be a result of having become an international company. Simply put, much of the more basic attitudes that Sam brings to light in his story should be reinstituted within the company. No spoilers here, you'll just need to get the book. 

If you are a shareholder in the company, or are considering becoming one, this book is for you. 
If you are a young person about to enter the workforce, this book is for you.
If you are an entrepreneur, this book is for you.
If you are in any way considering building a lasting business or career in retail sales, network marketing, or any type of investment company, this book is for you.
If you simply want to take a ride back in time a few years and relive some of the old variety store antics and growth methods they employed, this book is for you, and I promise you will enjoy the ride.

Please consider buying Sam Walton Made In America. This man's story will not disappoint.

Before you buy another book check out the Kindle Unlimited Membership Plans

How The family is spending their money today.

Comments

Fan Voted Favorite Posts!