Book Review: The Lost World of Genesis One Ancient Cosmology and the Origins Debate by John H Walton



I just finished this book moments prior to writing this review. I really don't want to take the time to let it digest before writing, because I want to give my first impression review on this one. 


Let me start by saying, had I read this book 5 years ago it would have completely wrecked my theology. At that time my understanding of the Bible was very "cursory" to put it mildly. I understood the Bible in terms of absolutes (and it is), but the words on the page are only lid to a very deep rabbit hole of truths. This book requires you to place what you know on the shelf temporarily. My pastor likes to tell us that right before he disturbs our peace LOL. Don't worry, this book is not disturbing, but it may be very revealing to you in many ways.

Because of this book I can now answer, and I think you will be able to also, the following questions:
  1. Is Genesis chapter 1 history?
  2. Is Genesis chapter 1 science?
  3. Is Genesis chapter 1 a metaphor?
  4. Is Genesis chapter 1 literal?
I can comfortably answer these questions with a resounding YES. This is something that only the Creator can accomplish. 

I would encourage anyone who is capable of thinking outside of theological boxes to read this book. You will gain a much greater understanding of things that are important to the Creator's presence on this Earth. Genesis chapter 1 is actually a blueprint to something else in the Bible, and it is a blueprint that the Creator established. 

Try to allow yourself to extend the boundaries of you mind as it pertains to biblical studies. This book will do just that. Whether you are Christian or not, this book has a gift for everyone. 

John H Walton is a Old Testament Scholar and is a professor at Wheaton University. He also taught for 20 years at Moody Bible Institute. He specializes in Ancient Near eastern backgrounds of the Old Testament. 

 


Before you buy another book check out the Kindle Unlimited Membership Plans

Comments

Fan Voted Favorite Posts!