Book Review: The Power of Your Subconscious Mind by Dr. Joseph Murphy

This book has left me with extremely mixed emotions. Before I move into my review of this book let me just say that I do highly recommend this book, but with reservations and warnings. 
Now for my review:
For many years now I have wondered where the modern "prosperity gospel" found throughout Christianity started. Though I'm not certain, I do believe that this book could have at least been fanning the flames of that growing fire, if not the match itself. It is my personal belief that prosperity preaching has done more damage to the cause of Christ than good. I say this because even though I believe this book should be read by all, and we should all use most of its suggestions in a practical way, I want you to be careful about the conclusions you draw as to your place in God's relationship with you. He alone is God....not you!
On a more positive note, because truly there is much good to be said about this book, I thoroughly enjoyed the witnesses offered throughout. Stories of both successes and failures of individuals and the relation to their mental processes about themselves. The book offers so much evidence of what Dr. Joseph is trying to convey.
Because this book was written in the early 60's I believe it has helped to change many people's lives. It has caused me to examine some pathetic attitudes I hold, and created a desire to work on changes. 
In several places in this book the author will give you a brief breakdown of steps you should take to start repairing the things discussed in the previous chapter. 
And let me not forget the "science" he offers about prayer. There is no denying the importance of prayer, but a scientific understanding of one of the facets of prayer can be life-changing! This is one of the areas I insist you use caution. But, do not dismiss what he is teaching here.
All in all this book is not a Christian doctrine and should not be placed in that position. However, it is heavily mingled with Bible scripture passages lending insight and at times even spiritual "proof" of how the author's ideals line up with man's "likeness and image of God" and how it can be intelligently interpreted (not exclusively, but one possible conclusion.).
Get the book. Read it. Digest it. Implement it. 

  Click image above to order!

Comments

Fan Voted Favorite Posts!